GENEVA, IL – A gnome, giant pumpkin and one or two fairies will welcome visitors to “Cottages in the Woods,” to be held in the beautiful woods of Geneva’s Bon Templier Historical Park, on Saturday October 15 and Sunday October 16 october. The woods will be teeming with Scandinavian crafts, Swedish cuisine, folklore and entertainment from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on both days.
Nineteen charming Swedish stugas (cottages) will be open, showcasing some of the most talented artisans in the Midwest. Visitors will find a wide variety of rosemary, dalamaling, Swedish watercolor, candle, pottery, knitted goods, woodworking, vintage, watercolor prints, classic children’s books, natural cosmetics, jewelry, rosaries, wreaths and garlands. There will also be demonstrations, including a demonstration of krumkasa in the Swedish bakery.
Saint Lucia shares its Swedish legend, while Jul Tomte (Swedish Father Christmas) will delight young and old. Scour the woods, where you’ll likely find a hidden fairy or two. Treat yourself to lunch at food trucks The Pasta Box (Saturday and Sunday) and Aunt Tina’s Sound Bites soul food (Sunday). Take home Scandinavian sweets and pastries for later at Lingonberry Cafe.
A kid’s tent with free crafts and a kid’s scavenger hunt will keep the kids busy. Visit Tomte and his assistant from 11:30am to 3:30pm both days. Costumed fairies will enchant visitors. Children and the young at heart are encouraged to dress up in fairy costume.
Good Templar Park is a private park, which only opens the historic cottages to the public a few times a year. Autumn is the most beautiful time of all, with leaves of red and gold falling from the towering oak trees, and offers the perfect autumn day trip away from the hustle and bustle of the big city.
Admission to Cottages In The Woods Artisan Sale is $10 for adults and can be paid at the door. Children under 12 are free. Good Templar Park is located at 528 East Drive, Geneva.
The artists presented in 2022 are:
- Carol Frey (Smittens up bike mitts) Cottage #35
- Carly Kloubec Vacation Home and Decor Cottage #35
- Denise Chaiken Coil Memory Wire Braclets Cottage #25
- Crochet items from Lisa Tomlinson
- Linda Miller Vintage Items #34
- Lori Shemanski Tole Painting #33
- Karen Kloubec Pottery Cottage #32
- Peg Boehm Cottage Watercolor Cards and Prints #32
- Kathy McPartland Sandinavian Artwork & Watercolor Cottage Cards #31
- Terri Lock Cottage #30 Recycled Bird Feeders
- Hanan Hall Chain Mesh Jewelry Cottage #29
- The Gnome Merchant Cottage #7
- Ron Diller Cottage Wood Carvings #10
- Kathy Longo Vintage Cottage #11
- Women at Risk Jewelry Cottage #12
- IL Norsk Rosmalers Norwegian Chalet Rosemaling #14
- Jody Moreen Classic Books and Vintage Cottage #16
- Earth’s Secret All Natural Soap, Skincare, Makeup Cottage #17
- Janette Romero Canvis Bags & Scrubs Cottage #18
- Sew Pretty Handmade Patterns Cottage Quilting Items #101
- Nisse Nook Scandinavian Products Cottage #106
- The Pet Collar Co Cottage #52
- Mosey Macrame Cottage #52
- Swedish Museum of Chicago (tent in front of the community house)
- SWEDISH BAKERY at Good Templar Park Community House, selling homemade treats and baked goods from Iversons Bakery, and a demonstration of Krumkake